Pages

Friday, November 4, 2011

Fab Five - Week 10 (NCAAF Predictions)

Here. We. Go.... No. 1 vs. No. 2 for all the marbles. And by marbles I mean the undisputed No. 1 Ranking in College Football for at least a week! Alabama/LSU this weekend - There's no way it will be the high-scoring shootout that we got with Stanford/USC (still can't believe USC lost this game against the spread) - but it should be a great game. Lets get to this weekends picks after the jump...

No. 13 Michigan (-4) vs. Iowa, Noon - ESPN
We start this weekend's college football action with a Big 10 rivalry. Whichever team scores more points will win this game. That'll be my first John Madden-like analysis for the weekend. I like Denard Robinson and Michigan's offense to go into Iowa and simply outplay the Hawkeyes defense which has been pretty abysmal all year long. The Hawkeyes surrender over 400 yards a game and give up over 23 points per contest. I look for this to be a high scoring game in which Michigan will seize control. I'll take the Wolverines on the road.


Purdue vs. No. 19 Wisconsin (-26), 3:30 ET - ABC
I'm only adding this game to the card because I needed a game at 3:30 to watch. After that Hail Mary loss to the Spartans, Wisconsin dropped what should have been an easy win at the Ohio St. Buckeyes last week. Truly disappointing for a team that I thought had legitimate BCS title hopes. I figured it out though, the Badgers don't like playing on the road.  Russell Wilson's Heisman hopes have probably been shot, but he's still doing impressive things in Madison. I look for Wilson to lead the offense to over 40 points and for the Defense to finally get back on track this week against a Boilermaker team that has not won on the road this year. I'll take Wisconsin and spot Purdue my age. Yes ladies, I'm 26 and single. Not all at once...


No. 10 South Carolina vs. No. 8 Arkansas (-5), 7:15 ET - ESPN
An SEC game that would usually have great significance - but not this weekend. South Carolina is in the drivers' seat to win the SEC East, while Arkansas will need a lot of help to contend in the SEC West (LSU and Bama). The Gamecocks will be with out star RB Marcus Lattimore who injured his knee in last week's contest against Tennessee. That means they'll have to rely heavily on their passing game to contend with the Razorbacks potent offense. Luckily for Steve Spurrier and South Carolina - they have a WR by the name of Alshon Jeffery who is on the verge of breaking school records in receiving yards, receptions, and receiving touchdowns. Sterling Sharpe and Sidney Rice attended South Carolina so that's pretty impressive. Unfortunately, without Lattimore I don't think the Gamecocks will have enough to contend with Arkansas' potent offense. I'll take Arkansas and lay the points at home. 


No. 1 LSU vs. No. 2 Alabama (-4.5), 8:00 ET - CBS
There have been points throughout the week that I've found myself watching SportsCenter with a smile from ear to ear. It usually has to do with the fact that Erin Andrews is giving an update about something - but I'm legitimately giddy about this game. Battle of the Trenches, Man-Up, Bone-Breaking Tackles, Every inch matters (or so I'm told). These are just a few of the cliches that I expect to hear and see come Saturday Night when these two teams square off. When it comes down to it, I think that Alabama has the better defense (8 starters are projected to be in the top 150 of next years NFL Draft) and will have too many weapons on offense for LSU to contend with. The Crimson Tide lead the SEC in Total Offense (458 yards/game), Scoring Offense (39.4 points/game), Total Defense (180 yards/game), AND Scoring Defense (6.9 points / game). So basically they run shit. The knock against Bama is that they haven't played the competition that LSU has - which is why LSU ranks higher in the BCS Rankings. Well, come Saturday I think there will be a new Sheriff in town. I look for RB Trent Richardson to have a big day on the ground and will take the Crimson Tide at home. 


No. 17 Kansas State vs. No. 3 Oklahoma State (-21), 8:00 ET - ABC
So... this game will be on at the same time as the LSU/Alabama game and there will certainly be points scored in this one - that was my second John Madden-like comment of the weekend. I'm on fire. I like Kansas State to keep this one closer than last week's bum-raping against the Sooners. Ok. State puts up points in a hurry - but I think the Cougars will show everyone that they are not a fluke. I'll roll with Kansas State plus the points. 


It's weekends like this one in College Football that honestly make me scratch my head and ask - how are these guys not getting paid? Alabama/LSU is the main attraction of the weekend. Bigger than any NFL game, bigger than any PPV fight, bigger than any blockbuster movie - although the new Harold & Kumar does come out. Tons of money will be pocketed this weekend - unfortunately none of it will be going into the pockets of the players - at least legally. I'm done griping, I got Softball playoff games to worry about... until next week.


Last Week: 2-3
Season Record: 20-18-2

No comments:

Post a Comment