Pages

Friday, September 16, 2011

Fab Five - Week 3 (NCAAF Predictions)

We're back this week for five of the top games in College Football this week. We started the season an extremely average 2-2-1. We'll look to build on that .500 week and try to make it a winning one. Click for the picks after the jump...



Saturday, September 17th
Penn State (-7) vs. Temple - Noon, ESPN

I feel like I should include this game so that I can pretend like I know what's going on in the Philadelphia collegiate sports scene. A couple of my buddies will be tailgating for this game. I wasn't aware that people actually attended Temple football games, but sweet. Actually I should probably start paying more attention to this Temple Owls team. They are no longer the doormat that they used to be as they have put together 17 wins in the past two seasons and are off to their second straight 2-0 start. Last year they were beating the Nittany Lions in the fourth quarter before things fell apart. In fact, the Owls haven't scored a victory over the Nittany Lions since 1941. That's 28 consecutive contests that they've dropped. I'm not sure if the Owls will reverse their fortune in the Win column this year, but I do look for them to cover at home. I'll fly with the Owls plus this points in this one.


Tennessee vs. No. 17 Florida (-9.5), 3:30 pm - CBS
This will be the first real test for either team this season. The two SEC teams face-off in Gainesville in a game that will help determine supremacy in the SEC East. Both teams have young coaches that are still trying to assure their fan bases that things are under control. Florida Head Coach Will Muschamp looks like the type of dude you don't want to mess with. He's a hard-nosed defensive coach that touts a Gator Defensive line that I expect to wreak havoc all day long. However, I think Tennessee is a much improved team and will stick around for this game. I could see this game being determined by a late score - I'll take the Vols plus the points in this one.


No. 21 Texas (-3.5) vs. UCLA, 3:30 pm - ABC
Case McCoy, younger brother of Cleveland Browns QB Colt McCoy is expected to see some significant time under center for the Longhorns in this game against UCLA. While the Longhorns have been very mediocre of late - I can't see how UCLA will stick around for this game. One thing I know is that Texas kids know how to play football. Ever watch Friday Night Lights? I rest my case. All kidding aside, I see the Longhorns avenging the 34-12 beat down at the hands of the Bruins last year. I'll take the Longhorns to win by two plus scores in this one.


No. 16 Ohio State vs. Miami (FL) (-2.5), 7:30 pm - ESPN
Welcome to the battle for the "Ineligi Bowl". Ha, get it? Because both programs have had players suspended this year? Okay, I'll be honest I clearly didn't think that one up. But I do expect Hurricanes players QB Jacory Harris and LB Sean Spence to come back from their one-game suspensions and have an immediate impact on this Miami team. I'll also admit that I'm starting to develop a bit of a man-crush on new Hurricanes head coach, Al Golden. I just think that he's handled this whole Booster situation impeccably and has never swayed from trying to coach and prepare these kids as best as he can. He was thrown into an impossible situation, and with a win against the Buckeyes - I think it goes a long way in making people forget about Nevin Shapiro and the damage that has been done to the Hurricane reputation. I'll be riding with the U in this one.


No. 1 Oklahoma (-3) vs. No. 5 Florida State , 8 pm - ABC
This is definitely the marquee matchup of the day in a game with National Championship implications. Going to Tallahassee and playing in what is bound to be a hostile environment is no easy task for any team. While the Seminoles are definitely an improved team and will keep the game much closer than last years 47-17 blowout, I just think that the Sooners have too much talent on both sides of the ball. WR Ryan Broyles is a flat out star in the making and I could easily see him and QB Landry Jones hooking up for multiple scores. I'll be siding with the Sooners minus the points in this one.


That's all for now... Hope that everyone has a safe and enjoyable weekend!




Season Record: 2-2-1

No comments:

Post a Comment