Pages

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Ortiz / Mayweather Prediction

So there's a fight tonight. Unless Mayweather, Pacquiao, or Amir Khan is fighting you can count me out for boxing. For me fight night is never quite right without some good pre-fight hype between two fighters as well as a nice wager so that we have a rooting interest. The HBO series 24/7 is about as good a documentary that there is on television. Just gets me amped for a fight. Plus it provides all types of comedy such as this expletive-filled exchange between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and his father Mayweather Sr.  (Skip to about 1 min 20 seconds). Just great television. Click after the jump for my pick tonight.



But for the fight itself, I fully expect Floyd Jr. to handle Victor Ortiz tonight. I'm told that Ortiz is a more than capable opponent that packs a pretty heavy punch, but I've never actually seen him fight. I also know that Mayweather has been out of boxing for 16 months and he's ended only 1 fight in the last 5 years earlier than the 12th round. Mayweather is a very methodical boxer that doesn't mind wearing down his opponents. I look for the fight to go at least 10 rounds and will be taking over 9.5 rounds at -260. Mayweather at -550 is too rich for my blood, and there's always the outside chance that Ortiz connects with a big right... If that happens, great! I'll just be hoping it happens after the 10th. 

3 comments:

  1. didnt look like he wanted to wait around tonight huh??? hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. nope, not tonight.. wasn't expecting that

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I wish I was about 50 years younger I would kick your ass." I'm surprised Floyd didn't knock Larry Merchant when he wasn't looking too

    ReplyDelete