Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

NFL Week 1 Recap

1 week down. 1 week closer to a Bills / 49ers Superbowl, CIRCLE THE WAGONS! I only kid, but Chris Berman would definitely approve.

What a week we had in the Week 1 predictions and in the Survivor play of the week . We went a solid 12-3-1 in games ATS and Survived week 1 with our Chargers pick. I even got a couple of 'thank you' and 'good shit' messages from readers that were able to take advantage of both set of picks. Although I'm not entirely certain that the ladder message was in reference to my Week 1 picks… Anyways, tell everyone you know to look out for my week 2 predictions - they are bound to be mediocre. Click to read more about what I learned this week…

So it's Tuesday morning now, and that means 5 more days until foooooootball is back. Naturally, I ask myself what did I learn this week in Fantasy land? And what did I learn this week about teams in the NFL that might be able to help me make picks for the upcoming weeks?

First - in terms of Fantasy Football - there just seems like there was an abundance of points and big stats this week. As a good buddy of mine pointed out last week - "defenses get hurt a lot more by not having training camp than offenses." I didn't really know what to make of this advice but it does seem to hold some truth. Look at the passing yards amassed by the top 5 QBs in Week 1 - Tom Brady (517 yds, 4 TDs), Cam Newton (422 yds, 3 Total TDs), Drew Brees (419 yds, 3 TDs), Chad Henne (416 yds, 3 Total TDs), and Tony Romo (342 yds, 2 TDs and more importantly 2 Costly turnovers in the Fourth Quarter, I digress). FOURTEEN Quarterbacks racked up over 300 yards passing this week. Wow. So in terms of picking a starting QB next week - just close your eyes, point and you should be set. How's that for expert advice?

How did my teams do you ask? Splendid, 2-1. Got nothing from Knowshon Moreno on MNF, but as I expected Calvin Johnson and LeSean McCoy are going to be good. Some Waiver Wire pickups that may or may not help your team out at some point in the season:

Carnell "Cadillac" Williams RB, STL - The former 5th Overall pick would be the main back in STL. They showed they could run the ball against the Eagles Defense and they enjoy the screen play to the Running Back. This would only workout if Steven Jackson missed extended time.

Saints WRs - With Marques Colston slated to be out for about a month - WRs Devery Henderson and Robert Meachem should garner some strong consideration as a 3 WR or Flex player on your team. 

Ben Tate RB, HOU - If this Arian Foster hamstring continues to prohibit him from playing, look for Tate to be the guy in Houston. If Foster is out, he should definitely be in your lineup. 

Cam Newton QB, CAR - So this guy had a pretty good first game. I still wouldn't allow him to crack my starting lineup but I'd absolutely take a waiver on this guy and let him ride my bench until a bye week matchup presented itself. 

So What did I learn about NFL Teams this week? 
The Ravens and the Patriots. They're shaping up to be the cream of the crop in the AFC. The Jets got a good win, but any fan will tell you that their offense looked stagnant. The Chargers came out on top, but come on, McNabb threw for 39 yards. That alone almost discounts everything I said about NFL QBs in the paragraph above. The Texans had an impressive performance - but that's what they should do against a Colts team sans Peyton. Also, the Chiefs blow. And to make matters worse All Pro Safety Eric Berry is out for the season. 

In the NFC the Packers stand alone at the top. All four teams in the NFC South lost. So much for that group in the debate for best division. The Eagles pretty much Ray J'd the St. Louis Rams. Let's just say the Rams will be walking funny for a couple weeks after that game. And the Bears (proved me wrong) and Lions both had convincing wins over 'solid' NFC South teams. 

While its still to early to pick up on any trends, it was definitely a good week of football. We made some money, we had some laughs (I'm told all you had to do was watch the Giants on Sunday), and the Bills are tied for first! What more is there to ask for?

Coming Up:
Survivor Pick - Wednesday
Random Thoughts on Baseball - Thursday
Week 2 NFL Predictions - Friday 
Fab Five (NCAAF) Picks - Friday
Book West Coast trip if all goes to plan - TBD

No comments:

Post a Comment