Pages

Friday, October 28, 2011

Fab Five - Week 9 (NCAAF Predictions)

Struggled a little bit this week in the College Football scene (1-4) - but I'm not mad because we truly got one of the greatest finishes I've seen to end a game. Ever. That Michigan State win over Wisconsin on Saturday Night was unbelievable. Here's a quick highlight of what happened in case you were already out getting hammered:


My Favorite part of this clip is the Referee coming out to make the game winning call and immediately turning and running to avoid the ensuing stampede. Great game. Great Ending. LSU-Auburn isn't until next weekend, but we have some pretty solid matchups this week so lets get to the picks after the jump...

No. 9 Michigan State vs. No. 13 Nebraska (-4), Noon - ESPN
The Spartans are back at it against newcomer to the Big 10, Nebraska. In a game which will have serious BCS implications - both teams come into this game with only one blemish on their schedule. The Spartans come in on a 3 game winning streak against rivals, Ohio State, Michigan, and Wisconsin. They find a way. Even after giving up 31 points last week the Spartans rank 2nd in College Football for Total Defense. That's impressive. This is where the "BUT" or "HOWEVER" part of my blurb comes in... Nebraska has also played well of late and they tote a very strong running game with RB Rex Buckhead (105 yds/gm, 10 TDs) and QB Taylor Martinez. In their first year as a member of the Big 10 - Nebraska already finds itself among the cream of the corn - I'll roll with the Cornhuskers to cover this game at home. I'd also expect this to be a defensive battle so the UNDER would be a strong play here as well. 


No. 11 Oklahoma (-13.5) vs. No. 10 Kansas State, 3:30 PM - ESPN
Oklahoma just blew their shot at a BCS Championship. Well, they'll need a lot of help to get back to the top and it's probably too late in the season for that. But if there's one thing I do know - it's that Oklahoma does not lose back to back games. The last time they dropped back to back games within the conference it was 1998 and William Clinton was in office. The Sooners offense is too good and will over match this Wildcat defense. I'll take the Sooners minus the points to bounce back and hand Kansas State their first loss of the season. 


No. 25 West Virginia (-7) vs. Rutgers, 3:30 PM - ABC
This probably isn't one of the top 5 games of the weekend - but I wanted to include it for personal reasons. As I continue to search and apply for the right Business School - one of the things that has become increasingly more important is the establishment of a strong Athletic program. I wasn't really able to get my College Football fix at Drexel University since the Dragons haven't suited up for a football game since 1973. Rutgers, being an in-state school is near the top of my list - so I'll roll with the Scarlet Knights in this one. Don't let me down Schiano. 


No. 12 Wisconsin (-7) vs. Ohio State, 8PM - ESPN
Damn - I really thought that the Badgers would be playing against the top SEC team for the BCS Championship this year. All the pieces seemed to be in place. Great QB, Terrific Running Game, likable Coach, and a fan base that legitimately likes to Jump Around. Just felt so right - and then one Hail Mary later you're ranked in the middle of the Top 25 and no one cares about them anymore. Well I'll stick with the Badgers because they are playing against Ohio State. One thing I've learned from watching football games this year - teams from Ohio have a tough time scoring. That's no different for this Suckeyes team. I'll take the Badgers minus the points in this one.







No. 4 Stanford (-7.5) vs. No. 20 USC, 8 PM - ABC
Andrew Luck was very very good last week against Washington. The Cardinal have been very good all year long - both on the field (7-0) - and in gambling terms (7-0 against the spread). They have won each of their past 10 contests by 25 points or more. That's not going to happen this week. The Trojans have a pretty solid signal caller in QB Matt Barkley who projects to go in the first round of next years NFL draft as well. In a home game, that is pretty much their championship game (because of NCAA sanctions against Reggie Bush) - I think the Trojans will keep this one close throughout. I'll wrap it up with the Trojans plus this points in this one. 



Hope that everyone has a safe and spooky Halloween! I'll be going as Dr. Shots - so just find me by the bar administering shots to patients in need all night :)


Last Week: 1-4
Season Record: 18-15-2 

No comments:

Post a Comment